Deer Hunt For The Disabled
Wisconsin River Power Company (WRPCO) has cancelled the 2020 Deer Hunt for Disabled Hunters because of COVID-19 pandemic.
WRPCO is proud to host this annual deer hunt for hunters with disabilities, however safety and health is our number one priority with this in mind the decision was made to cancel this year's hunt. The hunt provides people with disabilities a quality hunting experience that demonstrates the social and environmental integrity of our corporation and employees.
Each year, WRPCO sponsors the three-day gun deer hunt in early October at the Petenwell Wildlife Area located on the Wisconsin River between the Petenwell and Castle Rock hydroelectric project reservoirs near Necedah in Central Wisconsin. The Petenwell Wildlife Area is a parcel of land, approximately 750 acres in size, which has been set aside by WRPCO as a wildlife refuge. The majority of the area is permanently closed to other hunting activities.
Any hunter with a Wisconsin Class A, B, C or D disability permit is welcome to apply – watch our webpage in early 2021 for more information.
WRPCO provides the following hunting services without charge:
- Placement and preparation of deer stands in the Petenwell Wildlife Area.
- Hunters transported back and forth from deer hunt base camp to the deer stands.
- Assigned hunting partners, if hunters don't bring own companion.
- Field dressing, dragging, tracking, etc. of harvested deer.
- Convenient, nearby storage of deer until the hunt is over.
- Friday evening banquet dinner.
- Saturday and Sunday morning continental breakfasts before departing to the deer stands.
- Full deer camp breakfasts following the Saturday and Sunday morning hunts.
Hunters are responsible for transportation to the hunt base camp located at the WRPCO office at the Petenwell Dam near Necedah, WI; their lodging, remaining weekend meals, personal equipment, license and deer processing. Hunters can use any firearm authorized for deer hunting in Wisconsin (e.g., rifle, shotgun, black powder, or handgun) for the deer hunt.