For Release: 04/14/2017
Customers, outdoor enthusiasts reminded to be mindful of increased river flows
With spring underway, Wisconsin Public Service (WPS), We Energies and Wisconsin River Power
Company (WRPCO) encourage customers and outdoor enthusiasts to be mindful of increased river
flows around each company's hydroelectric facilities.
Water from melting snow and ice can significantly raise river levels and increase river currents
during this time of year. In the past week, WPS, We Energies and WRPCO have each seen river
flows increase at their respective dams.
Outdoor enthusiasts who use rivers and reservoirs around dams need to follow several safety
precautions. These precautions include:
WPS, We Energies and WRPCO closely monitor river levels at all hydroelectric facilities and
continuously communicate with government officials and area stakeholders about any changes in
river conditions. Up-to-date information on river conditions around hydroelectric facilities can be
found on the National Weather
Service, WPS, We Energies
and WRPCO websites.
- Obeying all warning signs.
- Heeding horns or sirens.
- Being aware of rapidly changing water conditions.
- Practicing safe boating and swimming.
- Carrying a cell phone to contact 911 in an emergency.
- Wearing a personal floatation device (PFD), a life jacket.
- Staying outside buoy lines and away from restricted areas near dams.
- Having a safe escape route planned, and being prepared to evacuate at the first sign of danger.
For More Information, Contact: